Maybe you purchased your home recently and aren’t sure the age of your heating and cooling systems. Maybe your furnace has some issues and you are wondering whether to repair or replace it. Or maybe you know your furnace is several years old and are planning for the future. Fortunately, your local expert is here to help!
PECO is a family-owned and operated business that focuses on making your home as comfortable as possible. To ensure that your furnace efficiently and thoroughly heats your home, we recommend replacing when:
- The furnace is more than 15 years old. Some furnaces may encounter major issues prior to 15 years, but most modern furnaces will last this long. If it’s been over 15 years since you’ve replaced the unit, it’s time to install a new one.
- Your energy bills keep going up. Over time, your furnace may become less efficient. Your old system has to work harder and harder to heat the same space. If you replace the system, you can see decreases in your energy bill – especially if you invest in a high-efficiency unit.
- Your system isn’t adequately heating the house. Do you notice that some rooms are too cold and some are too hot? Inconsistent heating is a cause to call a professional for repairs. If you need frequent or major repairs to the system, it may be more cost-effective to replace the system entirely.
- Your house is humid. Are you sweltering in the summer in a humid house? Is your home overly dry in the winter? These humidity problems can be a sign of leaky ductwork and inadequate equipment.
- You hear clanging or other loud noises when you’re using the heater. A noisy system can be a sign of a bigger problem and is a reason to call a professional.
- You notice that you’re dusting more often. Do you have excessive dust? This can be a sign that your HVAC system has leaky ducts that need to be sealed to keep dust from the basement, crawl space, or attic into your home. It could also be a sign that you need a new filter or a more powerful system.
- You don’t have a programmable thermostat. In the modern age, you can start a car with your phone and have a family event from your laptop. Your thermostat needs to catch up! A programmable thermostat saves you energy and money by turning off or lowering the heat while you’re at work, away on vacation, or sleeping.
Call PECO if it’s time to replace your furnace!